The Aragon Research Tech Spectrum™
The Aragon Research Tech Spectrum is our market evaluation tool that graphically represents analysis of both emerging and mature markets and the vendors that participate in them. We use a rigorous analysis of each vendor using two dimensions that enable comparative evaluation of the participants in a given market.
What differentiates the Aragon Research Tech Spectrum from other models is the ability to look beyond size and market share that often dominate these types of analyses, and instead use those as comparative factors in evaluating providers’ product-oriented capabilities.
Positioning in the Aragon Research Tech Spectrum reflects the product and/or service and the ability of the provider to distribute, service, and support that offering.
While the Aragon Research Globe analyzes vendors on a broader set of criteria, the Tech Spectrum looks at a focused set of criteria that helps enterprise planners understand and navigate the market of technology provider options.
The Aragon Research Tech Spectrum is segmented into three sectors, representing high and low on both the product/service and performance dimensions. Vendors fit into one of the following sectors:
- Leaders are the providers that have comprehensive strategies that align with industry direction and market demand, and that effectively perform against that strategic backdrop.
- Contenders are those providers with strong performance, but with more limited or less complete strategies. Their performance positions them well to challenge for leadership by expanding their strategic focus.
- Promising are providers that have strong strategic understanding and objectives, but have yet to perform effectively across all elements of that strategy. This includes breakout or emerging players that may be focusing on specific capabilities.
Defining the dimensions of analysis:
Aragon Research looks at two different dimensions when evaluating the participants in a market:
- Strategy reflects the degree to which a vendor has understanding and strategic intent that is at the forefront of market direction. That includes providing the capabilities that customers want in the current offering and recognizing where the market is headed.
- Performance represents effectiveness in executing a vendor’s defined strategy. This includes selling and supporting the defined product offering or service.