May Aragon Cares: 2021 Grateful for Nurses Virtual 5k
by Amy Townsend
For our May Aragon Cares activity, we chose to get outside and walk to support our nurses! This past year has been anything but easy for our first responders, so we wanted to do something to show our appreciation.
What is Project HOPE?
Project HOPE is an organization that delivers essential medicine and supplies, volunteers (including nurses), and medical training to prevent disease, promote wellness, respond to disaster and save lives around the globe.
Project HOPE was initially founded in 1958 as the S.S. HOPE, the world’s first peacetime hospital ship. Over the next 14 years, the S.S. HOPE made 11 voyages to provide care to vulnerable communities around the world. Today, the spirit of the S.S. HOPE lives on, through Project Hope’s mission to place power in the hands of local health care workers to save lives across the globe.
Project HOPE places power in the hands of local health care workers to save lives around the world. Whether training midwives in Sierra Leone, outfitting hospitals in Indonesia or resupplying clinics devastated by disaster, they are committed to empowering health care workers with the support they need to heal people who need it most.
Why we chose to support Project HOPE
Aragon Research chose to participate in this virtual 5k to support Project HOPE’s for 5 key reasons:
1. Project HOPE has responded to every major disaster since the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, often staying beyond their initial response to help address health concerns as communities rebuild.
2. Project HOPE works within existing health systems to empower local health care workers with the knowledge and skills they need to impact their own communities.
3. Project HOPE works hand-in-hand with partners, public health systems, local organizations, and community leaders to implement real, lasting solutions.
4. Project HOPE prioritizes compliance, accountability, and transparency in everything they do. We take stewardship seriously, and we work to maximize the value of every contribution we receive. Learn more about our financial accountability.
5. Project HOPE is agile and adaptable, focused on innovative approaches that bring about long-term change.
It’s organizations like Project HOPE that help keep the world afloat during major disasters like the COVID-19 pandemic. Last year, Project HOPE distributed over 8.9 million pieces of protective equipment and trained over 83,000 health workers. Every donation helps continue the fight around the world to save lives and empower frontline workers with the training and tools they urgently need