IBM Partners with Schneider Electric, Launches Intelligent Video Surveillance Solution
by Nicole Speciale
Summary: Pelco by Schneider Electric is joining forces with IBM to provide in-depth Analytics for security applications.
Event: On April 11, 2018, Pelco announced that it is partnering with IBM on a “Pelco Analytics Powered by IBM” offering.
The new Pelco Video Solution represents a new era for video-based security and surveillance. Artificial Intelligence-based Video Analytics, which is being supplied by IBM, is the new way forward for enterprise and government security. Monitoring public zones will become simpler and more effective once the Pelco-IBM offering is released. Aragon feels that existing Video Management Systems (VMS) providers will need to up their game and match the shift to Intelligent Video Analytics.
The Pelco-IBM partnership will address many issues for the monitoring of public spaces such as airports, schools, stadiums, and other areas that attract large volumes of people. This offering will also enable real-time recognition and near real-time responses to incidents that can be automatically detected as they happen.
Artificial Intelligence Meets Video Management
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is making its way into a wide range of markets. Now, with IBM’s AI leadership, a Deep Learning offering will become a strong asset for Pelco’s Video Management Systems (VMS). Analytics will be able to process vast quantities of data and apply face and object recognition technology. This means that VMS users will be able to get more out of video surveillance thanks to the accuracy and speed of Deep Learning Analytics. This technology can analyze far more footage than surveillance professionals, cutting down both on time and the risk for missing potential threats.
Solving Vertical Market Challenges
The ability to thoroughly and accurately offer surveillance in public spaces has posed a number of issues. First and foremost, it can be challenging to capture footage of an entire zone and analyze activity amidst the thousands of people passing through daily.
The IBM-Pelco partnership is specifically targeting cities, airports, and schools to help them oversee footage from thousands of cameras. The cameras can alert authorities in real-time and provide an analysis of captured footage from a given space (such as movements or behavior), which can then be used to adjust relative policies and systems. This offering will assist with conflict prevention and offer time-sensitive solutions to issues.
IBM and Schneider Jump to Early Mover Status
The Pelco-IBM partnership is a case of technological leadership for the Video Analytics market. Zone monitoring will become significantly more efficient, thorough, and productive. About 3% of video cameras possess intelligence (Automation, Analytics, Deep Learning), which means that people who use the other 97% of video cameras are not reaping the full potential of video technology. Aragon expects that the need for higher resolution imagery required by AI applications will drive a refresh of many of the camera systems at high-risk venues.
- Enterprises will need to evaluate Intelligent video surveillance systems as part of an overall solution to smart cities and smart venue management.
- As part of the shift to Intelligent video surveillance, higher resolution cameras will need to be leveraged to take advantage of built-in Intelligence.
- Enterprises need to evaluate the product roadmaps from Pelco and other competitors to ensure that they have a vision for the future.
Advancements in video monitoring for public spaces will continue to drive this area of the Video Analytics market. Aragon expects other vendors will follow this move from IBM and Pelco. The combination of Video Management and Intelligent Video Analytics has the potential to revolutionize how we utilize video footage and apply it to solutions that protect and improve public spaces.